- Schedule movers and make sure you have a firm bid in writing.
- Call utility companies, including telephone and cable, to cancel current services and sign up for services in your new home.
- Obtain a referral for doctors, dentists, and specialists if you are moving to a new area.
- Collect medical records for family members and pets and carry these with you.
- Have any necessary prescriptions filled and carry them with you.
- Arrange travel for pets, including their travel containers, immunization records, and so on.
- Transfer checking and savings accounts if necessary. Empty safe-deposit boxes and carry the contents with you.
- Dispose of flammables and other hazardous materials.
- Moisten plants before packing.
- Back up your computer files and pack valuable electronics in protective cases.
- Drain fuel from lawn mowers and other equipment. Drain water hoses.
- Have the car serviced for the trip and check that proof of insurance is in the car.
- Pack a ‘first night’ box with coffee, bedding, household cleaners, toothpaste and toothbrush, pet food, and other essentials that you expect to need upon arrival.
- Conduct a last-minute walk-through. Check drawers, closets, the basement, and the garage, etc.
- Make sure everything is turned off and locked up.
There are many details to handle as your prepare for a move. It can seem like a daunting task, but we’re here to help you handle it. Our handy guide will make sure you don’t forget anything. Use this checklist to help you manage the process:
This should help you organize your move to ensure you have everything you need. We have great recommendations if you need movers to assist you with this process. Just give us a call and we’ll connect you!
Trackback from your site.
Leave a Reply
About our blog
Our agents write often to give you the latest insights on owning a home or property in the local area.